01 September 2006

Ear-Jacked!

The other day while getting out of the car to go into the grocery store with my daughters; we were jacked! I’m not talking about battery *y'all, so please don’t call 911. I am talking about, our ears were assaulted by someone blasting their music in their car, the song of choice was entitled, “I’m In Love with a Stripper.” As my girls and I proceeded into the store, I began to focus my thoughts on other things in the store. By the time I had rounded aisle seven, one of my daughters began singing, “I’m in love with a stripper……”
I immediately stopped in my tracks and told her to please not sing that song anymore, because it was not an appropriate song for her to sing. Then I began to think about how music gets into our spirits subconsciously, because by the time I was at the checkout counter I was humming the song myself. Then I began to think about all those people who say that they listen to derogatory music, but they don’t hear the words. They only listen to the beat. I don't know, maybe they have some super special kind of ears, (?) but I personally think that, it is nearly impossible, because you are fooling yourself if you say you can’t hear the words. (I’ll only believe that if you are listening to a song in another language that you don’t understand.) I have nothing against people listening to whatever they want to, but why must innocent bystanders be attacked by what you like? I have some great inspirational music that I like to listen to, but I don’t blast it loudly so that everyone outside can hear it. First of all it is dangerous to our ears, and secondly, I think that it is an invasion of privacy.

Now if you ride in my car with me, more than likely you will hear some form of uplifting music, and you have one of these choices: listen to what I play, listen to me run my mouth, listen to the twins ask you “Why?” a hundred times on various topics, or listen to air. Before a lot of you call me judgmental, I would like to add that, I listen to all kinds of music, but it has to represent things that GOD himself would smile upon. And I don’t think he would smile upon songs like "I'm in love with a stripper….” I don’t discriminate against artists, but I do discriminate what some of their music represents, and if it represents the dark side then it gets no play in my car.


Can anyone out there relate?

Be Blessed *Y'all.

No comments: